Far North Queensland
Sub Region
North (of Cooktown)

When LawRight can’t help
If this is the first time you are seeking legal advice, and you are not in one of our Court & Tribunal Service jurisdictions or Community & Health Justice Partnership locations, you should first contact your nearest community legal centre for advice. You are welcome to later apply to LawRight but an appointment with a community legal centre lawyer is generally the quickest way to get advice and decide what to do next.

LawRight generally cannot assist with:

matters outside of Queensland or Commonwealth law – consult Community Legal Centres Australia.
people who can afford a lawyer – visit Queensland Law Society website to find a private law firm.
Mental Health Review Tribunal matters – LawRight previously provided assistance and advocacy at Treatment Authority hearings before the MHRT, but this service is closed for the foreseeable future. Contact QAI for assistance. LawRight still operates a limited service for people who are formally referred by Legal Aid.
Magistrates Court matters – contact your nearest community legal centre.
family law – contact your nearest community legal centre.
criminal law – contact Legal Aid Queensland.
Native Title – contact a Native Title repesentative body.
personal injury claims – find a ‘no win, no fee’ lawyer.
building and construction disputes – contact a private lawyer.
complex commercial disputes (except through the Courts & Tribunal Services, if we have capacity to do so).
businesses, except where the individuals behind the business are unable to afford a lawyer.

(07) 3846 6317