QIFVLS is a Family Violence Prevention Legal Service funded to assist Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people who are victims of domestic and/or family violence and /or sexual assault. They provide free legal advice and representation as well as ongoing case management for their clients. The teams at QIFVLS comprise of a Solicitor and Client Support Officer, who is Indigenous, to ensure that service is delivered in a culturally appropriate way.
They are also able to assist non-Indigenous clients in circumstances where the child involved in the proceedings is the person who is indigenous and/or the victim of the family violence and/or sexual assault.
QIFVLS provides legal advice and representation in the areas of:
• Child Protection
• Family and Domestic Violence
• Family Law
• Criminal Injuries and Compensation
• Sexual Assault
• Victim Support for example assisting in drafting submissions to the Parole Board;
• civil matters such as Social Security Appeals, Blue Card applications and QCAT appeals; and
• Victims Assist.
QIFVLS supports clients well beyond their legal needs through its service by having Client Support Officers who provide practical and welfare support, court support and advocacy.
QIFVLS also provides clients and the broader community with educational workshops and information sessions on:
• Sexual Assault Awareness
• Domestic and Family Violence Awareness
• Healthy and Unhealthy Relationships
• Legal and community information covering: Family violence, family law, child protection and victims assist.
The Rockhampton office services the local government areas of Rockhampton and Mt Morgan, Yeppoon, Gladstone, Woorabinda, Biloela, and Blackwater. Rockhampton Office also assists clients in Emerald with advice over the telephone. For more information or to access service please Ph. 4927 6453.